‘Kids’ mediation will make arrangements for you to meet with the local authority (and/or health commissioner) at a time and place convenient to all parties.
The mediator (who will have some knowledge of SEND legislation) should:
- agree who needs to be there*
- clarify your issues and the nature of the disagreement
- try to obtain the views of your child
*Local authority and health commissioner representatives should be at a level where they are able to make decisions during the mediation meeting.
Ahead of the mediation meeting it would be helpful to:
- prepare a bullet point list of your issues and concerns, so you can easily reference
- think about any questions you have around why the local authority reached its decision, or is refusing your proposed changes
- highlight sections of reports to help you evidence your points