Mediation is an informal way of trying to resolve disagreement with the local authority and/or the health commissioner.

There are various reasons why it could work for you, for example where:

  • you would like an opportunity to properly discuss your issues and find out more about how the local authority (or health commissioner) reached their decision
  • you have some additional information or a new report you would like to share with the local authority.
  • the local authority have omitted to include information provided during assessment or annual review
  • you believe further assessment is required to determine needs

However, this is a voluntary process and you should not feel pressured into mediation.

Requesting mediation or a mediation certificate

The first step would be to contact Kids mediation, to discuss whether you would like to use mediation and if you decide to, they will talk you through next steps.

If you decide it’s not for you, they will issue you with a certificate so that you can lodge an appeal, either within two months of the original decision letter from the local authority, or one month from the date of mediation or discussion, whichever is the later.

When a young person or parent chooses mediation, the local authority (or commissioning body) must take part and ensure this happens within 30 days of the request.