Choosing a school for a child with SEND

Most children with SEND will go to a mainstream school and are usually supported by the Local offer. The Enfield Local Offer includes information about SEND services, including specialist education and health support. 

Link to Enfield Local Offer for SEND:

Add link:

Choosing a school can sometimes feel like an overwhelming responsibility for parents and carers, particularly when they have a child with SEN and/or disabilities. Gathering information, discussing your thoughts with others and feeling well informed, can help you to feel better prepared to make the right decisions for your child. 

How do I apply for a mainstream school place?

Read more about schools in the Enfield area and how to apply for a school place in Enfield:

Link to Enfield Schools Admissions website:

How do I apply for a special school?

Your child will need an Education, Health and Care Plan, if you are considering a request to the SEN department at the Local Authority to name a special school.

When you receive the draft EHC plan, or a draft amended plan at the Annual Review of your child’s EHCP, you will be asked to name your preferred school(s) for your child. This could be a special school, specialist provision, maintained, academy or free school.

See link to more information on specialist education settings in Enfield:

Add link:

Can I request an Independent school?

You can ‘make representations’ (request and give your reasons) for an Independent school to be named on your child’s EHCP, and although the local authority must consider your wishes,  there is no conditional duty to name. They will only name an independent school where a place has been offered.

Some Independent schools and colleges have ‘opted in’ and are included in the list of schools you can request.

View the list of approved independent schools and colleges, known as ‘section 41’ schools.