Following assessment

  • Your child (and sometimes you) may be offered support or therapy from health services
  • You may receive a diagnosis for your child. It is important to share this information with the education setting.

You may feel emotional if your child gets a diagnosis and coming to terms with this may take some time; your child may also feel this way too and may deal with it differently to you.

You might find it helpful to explore national charities offering advice around specific conditions, or local support groups.

Designated Clinical Officers (DCO’s) are the point of contact for local authorities, schools and colleges seeking health advice on children and young people who may have SEN or disabilities. They can support schools with their duties under the ‘Supporting Pupils with Medical Conditions’ guidance.

See also our information about medical needs and education.

The SEND Code of Practice 2015 says:

“Schools have a notional SEN budget and many schools will commission services (such as speech and language therapy, pastoral care and counselling services) to support pupils…The school’s governing body must ensure that arrangements are in place in schools to support pupils at school with medical conditions and should ensure that school leaders consult health and social care professionals, pupils and parents to make sure that the needs of children with medical conditions are effectively supported.” (3.66)


“…should ensure they have access to external specialist services and expertise. These can include, for example, educational psychologists, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), specialist teachers and support services, supported employment services and therapists.” (7.23)