- What’s New – 13th July 2020
- What’s New – 20th July 2020
- ‘Cuppa chat’ July 2020
- Video conference 15th July 2020
- Transport Video Conference – 30th July 2020
- What’s New – 26th June 2020
Our Voice is the recognised Parent/Carer Forum for the Borough of Enfield – a voluntary, parent led organisation supporting families with children who have a Special Educational Need and/or Disability, aged 0-25.
We aim to improve services for our families in Enfield by collaborating with the Local Authority and Health, as well as local and national Voluntary Sector Organisations and Schools. We are funded by the Department for Education via Contact (a national charity) but most of us work on a voluntary basis, and we are also a part of the national organisation, the National Network of Parent Carer Forums (NNPCF).
Since March this year we have been particularly busy providing support and information to parents and carers, many of whom have been facing huge challenges, and ensuring that their views and needs are fed back to the Local Authority and Health services. Although we normally officially only operate during term time, we plan to continue this work throughout the summer months, as we know that many families have been struggling, and that this will become more severe over the holiday period.
Our key activities at the moment are:
- Providing information, guidance and signposting to other services through our helpline, website and emails sent to our mailing list at least once a week.
- Gathering information about how parents are coping and what support they need through a survey and talking to them at our virtual events and one-to-one.
- Providing daytime and evening informal drop-in sessions (‘Cuppa and Chat’) for parents and carers to connect with each other to give mutual support, share experiences and discuss the challenges and issues they face.
- Running a series of videoconferences with invited guests from Local Authority and Health Service areas on a wide range of topics. We have already held sessions on Mental Health and Emotional Well-being, Short Breaks and Keeping Safe (with Public Health). Other sessions planned for the next months include Travel Assistance, Sleep, Positive Behaviour Support, Transition, Return to School and more.
- Monthly Zoom parties with a children’s entertainer for our members children.
- We have continued to work with services across the LA on a wide range of existing and new projects, and make sure that they consider how parents and carers are affected by the decisions they make. We also give similar input to the government through the NNPCF.
If you are a parent or carer of a child or young person with SEND, please do get in touch with us and/or join our mailing list.