The Local Authority have a legal duty within section 47 of the Children Act 1989 to investigate, if they suspect that a child is suffering, or is likely to suffer, significant harm.

Anyone can make a referral to Children’s Services, including a parent, wider family member, friend, doctor, teacher or health visitor, if they are concerned about a child.

For support or guidance around safeguarding contact the Children’s Portal.

Following a referral, the Local Authority will then decide whether there should be any action taken to safeguard your child’s welfare.

Keeping children safe

If someone has raised concerns about your child by contacting social care, you may find it useful to read through the guidance from Child Law Advice, which explains what happens and how to prepare for questions you and your child will be asked.

Further information:

Safeguarding – collaborative working across Children, young people’s and Adult services (opens PDF)

Working Together to Safeguard Children (government guidance)