How the support you need is planned

The Education, Health and Care Plan

A young person with a disability and special educational needs will have been receiving support long before they are ready to make the transition from childhood to adulthood.

In September 2014, a new system, known as the Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan, was introduced for children and young people up to 25 years old who have special educational needs. This change was made under a new law, the Children and Families Act 2014.

Eligibility for an EHC plan is determined by the outcome of the EHC needs assessment which is completed by Enfield Local Authority.

The EHC plan focuses on the child or young person’s educational needs and aims (known as ‘aspired outcomes’), as well as on any health and care needs which they may have

Your local transition service

At the age of 16, a young person who has a disability, and who may already have an EHC plan (or SEN) in place, may start to be supported by the council’s transition team if they have social care needs and are eligible for council support in meeting these needs.

The transition teams aim to support a young person with their transition into adulthood, by exploring their needs, wishes and circumstances, and helping them to plan for their future. The young person, their family and their carers, are encouraged to take an active role throughout this process to ensure they are properly listened to, and are at the centre of planning and decision-making.

The transition service or team is usually made up of both health professionals (such as nurses, psychologists or therapists) and social care professionals (such as social workers and support workers). The team bridges the gap between the council’s Children’s Services and their Adult Services departments.

The transition team will first complete an assessment with the young person and their family which will determine whether they have social care needs, and whether they meet the council’s eligibility criteria to receive support.

If the young person is eligible for support following the assessment, the transition team will work with them, to try to achieve positive outcomes in up to four different areas: health, employment, community inclusion (getting out and about and having the chance for an active social life) and independent living.

Other information and advice

Preparing for Adulthood offers information and advice which aims to ensure young people with SEN and disabilities have equal life chances as they move into adulthood. The information they provide includes:

• information on the changes in the law and the new EHC plans

• information on transition

• information especially for young people

Mencap provides additional information on what to expect from the transition process.

The following guide can also provide useful information and ideas about types of support that might be helpful to you during your transition to adulthood:

Link to guide: