Young people from the age of 14 can experience changes in many areas of their lives. These changes may include:
- leaving education
- thinking about starting a job or work experience
- changes to their state benefits and finances
- moving into new accommodation
- changes to health and medical services
- changes in any social care support
- changes to personal relationships
It’s a time when young people gain new rights and responsibilities. Transition can be an exciting time for young people, full of new opportunities. However it can also be a worrying time, as young people move on from familiar people and places and face new challenges.
It is important that young people with disabilities, and their parents and carers plan for transition.